Four dead after two separate half-term motorway horror crashes
Man killed and nearly 50 injured after mass pile-up on M40 in Bicester
Up to 40 vehicles involved in the incident that happened in thick fog
Three men killed after double-decker collided with car on M1 at Flitwick
The car was said to be stationary on the motorway hard shoulder
Bedfordshire Police said the coach driver had been arrested
Both motorways closed for a number of hours but now reopened
Police said details of casualties will not be released at least until tomorrow
Published: 05:10 EDT, 14 February 2015 | Updated: 03:37 EDT, 15 February 2015
Four people were killed and nearly 50 injured in two horror crashes that happened as families hit the roads for the half-term holidays on Saturday.
The tragedies happened within an hour of each other and brought the motorway network in Bedfordshire and Oxfordshire to a virtual standstill.
A 40 vehicle pile-up in thick fog on the M40 in Oxfordshire left one man dead, another person fighting for life and nearly 50 injured.
In a separate crash, three men were killed when a double-decker bus collided with their broken down car on the hard shoulder of the M1 in Flitwick, Bedfordshire.
A fourth person in the Audi A3 was critically injured and airlifted to hospital by helicopter.
The coach driver was arrested in connection with the collision and was taken to the police station where he was due to be questioned by detectives.
Both routes were closed for a number of hours but have now reopened, the Highway Agency said.
Scroll down for video
Carnage: This is the scene on the M40 after up to 40 vehicles were involved in a mass pile-up near, Bicester, Oxfordshire
One man died, another suffered life-threatening injuries and a further six were seriously injured in the M40 collision
The scene of the carnage on the M40 motorway near Bicester today. An NHS emergency medical team ambulance was also involved in the crash
Nearly 50 others suffered minor injuries during the pile-up as many families were taking to the roads for the half-term holidays
The northbound section of M40 motorway at Bicester was re-opened shortly before 5pm tonight after the 33 badly damaged cars and lorries were removed.
Police said details of the casualties, one of who was described as critically ill, were not being released at least until tomorrow.
- > 19-year-old tipper truck driver pictured celebrating his new... > Two women miraculously escaped with their lives after their...
- > Wide load coming through! Moment two giant Jumbo Jet...
Share this articleShare
Source : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2953376/One-dead-dozens-injured-massive-motorway-pile-involving-30-vehicles-foggy-conditions.html1046